Industrial Designer / Product Designer
Pay and Remuneration
The qualified industrial designers can get high salaries for their services and products as and when the users get into a contract. Usually the pay offs/ salaries for these industrial designers at the beginning of their careers lies between Rs. 20,000 and 60,000 per month. The designers who are placed in big companies can get even more salaries.
- Sir Jonathan Paul Ive, President of Industrial design at Apple, he is the lead designer of many of Apple’s products like MacBook, iPod,iPhone, iPad etc.
- Naoto Fukasawa, described as one of the most influential Industrial Designers, is famous for the mobile phone “infobar” and “neon”.
- IDC Bombay Alumni Dr D Uday Kumar, who designed the new Rupee symbol and in 1989 Prof Ravi Poovaiah along with Prof A G Rao designed the electronic voting machines used in Indian Elections.
A Day in Life
A typical day would essentially be dependent on the stage of the project on which the designer is working but broadly the daily activities include
- Understanding the requirement of the client.
- Design the concept and generate alternatives
- Evaluate various design alternatives and take the approval of the client.
- Build sketches, models and prototypes
- Work it out
- Finalize the design.
You may also like to read up on other design careers: