Courses & Eligibility
There is an immense demand and career opportunities available for photographers not only in India but abroad as well. There is no such eligibility criteria for becoming a photographer, however to succeed in the field of photography, one needs to have lots of creativity and ability to perceive things in various ways. The only reason for going for a course is to learn the technical aspects so as to enhance and hone up your creativity. This is the very reason that lots of colleges and institutes have introduced professional photography courses in their curriculum. The following is a list of all the courses that one may find suitable for taking up photography seriously.
- Certificate Course in Advanced Photography
- Certificate Course in Basic Photography
- Certificate Course in Digital Photography
- Certificate Course in Fashion Photography
- Certificate Course in Photography
- Diploma in Fashion Photography
- Diploma in Motion Picture Photography
- Diploma in Photography
- Diploma in Professional Photography
- Foundation Degree Photography
- The Bachelor of Photography
- Bachelor of Arts Design : Photography
Being a photographer opens up a world of possibilities and that is the reason one must not hesitate in taking it up professionally. The presence of so many institutes can only make things better as one gets a chance to learn things very minutely. There is no educational qualification required for photography as such, but if you are willing to join a Diploma course, then one must have completed their intermediate (10+2). One can also take up part time course along with their college degree so that they do not invest additional time in the same.
Though there are lots of institutes and universities providing courses for photography, most of them do not require you to undergo any sort of entrance tests.
The duration of the course and the fee structure depend greatly on the course one wishes to pursue along with the institute. The usual duration of photography courses range from 2 months to 3 years. Depending on the courses and duration, the fee ranges from Rs. 8,500 to Rs. 70,000 for the high end courses.
Symbiosis school of photography takes approxiamtley 4 lakh per year tution fee.
Top Colleges for Photography
- National Institute of Design(N.I.D), Ahemdabad - NID is one of the premier most institutes of the nation and has been providing world class courses and training for students interested in photography. The institute provides one year post graduate program in photography design.
- Symbiosis School of photography, Pune offers 3 year bachelor of arts ( Visual Arts and Photography ).
- Sir JJ School of Applied Arts, Mumbai - The institute has created a niche for itself with all credits to the kind of training and courses that it has been providing in the past years. One can get a bachelors degree in Fine Arts from the institute which is very helpful for the candidates aspiring to be photographers.
- College of Art, Delhi University - The college was established in the year 1942 and offers bachelors degree in Fine Arts / Applied Arts under Delhi University. The institute conducts entrance test for admission to its BFA program. Interested candidates can also pursue Masters degree from the institute.
- Fergussan College Pune ( NAAC A grade) offers vocational course B Sc Physics with Photography and Audio Visual Production (30 seats).
- Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai - The name Xavier in itself says volumes, so any course from the same would obviously mean a lot in the industry as well. The institute provides with certificate course in basic as well as advanced photography.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technology University, Hyderabad - The institute is one of the premier institutes in the country when it comes to photography. It offers a part time post graduate course in photography and visual communication.
- AJK MCRC, Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi offers PG Diploma in Still Photography and Visual Communication.
- Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts and Communication, New Delhi offers certificate programs over the weekends apart from PG Diploma courses.
- National Institute of Photography, Mumbai ( ISo certified institute offers Diploma in Fashion Photography, Table Top Photography and many other.
- St xaviers College Kolkatta Offers B Sc Hons Mass Communication and Videography. Film Studies and Journalism are complusory subjects in the course.
Some other leading colleges in the nation for photography are as follows.
- Shari Academy of Photography and Digital Imaging, Mumbai
- Bangalore School of Arts and Photography (B.S.O.A.P), Bangalore
- Center ofr research in Art of Film and television (CRAFT), New Delhi
- Academy for Photographic Excellence (Apex), New Delhi
- Udaan School of Photography, Mumbai
- Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapith, Varanasi
- Barkatullah Vishwavidyalaya, Bhopal
- Light and Life Academy, Ooty
- Fortune Institute of Communication and Television, New Delhi
- Academy of Photography, RabindraBhartiUniversity, Kolkata - Diploma Course
- Dept of Continuing and Adult Education and Extension Work, Church gate Campus, SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai
- Camera Art Institute, Triveni Kala Sangam, 205 Tansen Marg, New Delhi
- Film & Television Institute, Pune - Diploma Course (motion Picture Photography)
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute, E.M. Bye Pass Road, Kolkata - Diploma Course (motion Picture Photography)
- Jiwaji University, Gwalior - Integrated course in Photography in Bachelor of Arts
- University of Pune, FergussonCollege, Pune - Integrated course in Photography in Bachelor of Art
- Film and Television Institute of Tamil Nadu, Chennai - Photography as a subsidiary subject
Some of the top colleges in the world that offer courses in photography are
1. Royal College of Art, UK
2. Rhode Island School of Design
3. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US
4. School of Art Institute of Chicago
5. California Institute of Arts
6. University of Arts London
7. Glasgow School Of Art
8. University of Oxford
9. Yale University
10. Carnegie mellon University, US
11. Columbia University, US
12. New York University, US
13. University of New South Wales, Australia
14. National University of Singapore
15. University of Chicago.