Courses & Eligibility
Merchant Navy - The courses offered by Institutes are:
- 3 year degree course in Nautical Science for (10+2) students.
- 4 year degree course in Marine Engineering for (10+2) students.
- 2 year course for Diploma Holders.
- 1 year course for Graduate Mechanical Engineers.
- 3 month course for Deck Cadets for (10+2) students.
- 4 month Pre-Sea Course for General Purpose (GP) rating.
- 3 month Pre-Sea Course for Deck rating.
- 3 month Pre-Sea Course for Engine rating.
- 4 month Pre-Sea Course for Saloon rating.
In order to pursue a B.E. Marine Engineering, a four years degree course; the qualifying age is 20 years, eyesight +/- 2.5, without colour blindness and the candidate should have passed higher secondary examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects with an aggregate marks of 60%. It is also mandatory to qualify in the Joint Entrance Examination (J.E.E) Mains which is conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) once a year or the other most important entrance level examination, which is held at the national level for the enrollment of the students in the government merchant navy institutions, which is called A.I.M.N.E.T or All India Merchant Navy Entrance Test.
The cost for Marine Engineering course varies from Rs.2,20,000/- to Rs.10 lacs for all four years depending on the university and the state selected. The cost for B.Sc. Nautical Science varies from Rs.2 Lacs to Rs.8 Lacs for all three years depending on the university and the state selected.
The four Government Training Institutes providing Pre-Sea and Post-Sea training of international repute are:
- Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai.
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata.
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri College of advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai.
Top Colleges for Merchant Navy
Here's a list of institutes from where one can puruse course in marine engineering:
- Tolani Maritime Institute (TMI), Pune
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies - Mumbai
- International Maritime Institute (IMI), Delhi/NCR
- Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training (MANET), Pune
- Institute of Technology & Marine Engineering (ITME), Kolkata
- B.P. Marine Academy, Navi Mumbai
- TS Rahaman Mumbai, India
- Indian Maritime University (IMU) (Chennai, Cochin, Kandla port, Kolkata, Mumbai and Vizag) - Offers B.Sc. Nautica Science and B.Sc. Maritme Science
- Indian Centre for Advancement of Research and Education (ICARE), Haldia
- Coimbatore Marine College (CMC), Coimbatore
- Academy of Maritime Education & Training (AMET University), Chennai
- Maritime Foundation, Chennai
- Chennai School of Ship Management, Chennai
- MASSA Maritime Academy (MMA), Chennai
- S B Vignesh Marine Training Centre, Chennai
- Cosmopolitian Technology of Meritime, Chennai
- Vels University, Chennai
- International Maritime Academy (IMA)