Courses & Eligibility
How to be an actor?
It is said that actors are born and not made. But a formal program gives a person exposure, training and education which enhances the chances of success. Thus the budding actors go to a college or university to study theater and some go to performing arts schools. Although there is no defined educational qualification required for this career but a course in acting or theater and a good command over language is a prerequisite.
The National School of Drama, New Delhi offers a Diploma course in Dramatic Arts, which is recognized by the Government of India for the purpose of recruitment to superior posts and services under the Central Government, where specialization in the field of Dramatics is required. The prerequisite for this course is a degree in graduation with at least 10 years of experience in amateur drama.
A week long crash course to a full fledged academic courses spanning over 3-4 years leading to a graduate degree in acting are offered at many institutes.
SRFTI: Fees 51,400 in Sem 1 and 26,000 sem 2 onwards.
Top colleges for Acting / Actor
Institutions and Universities
- National School of Drama, Bahawalpur House, 1 Bhagwandas Road, New Delhi
- Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Law College Road, Pune, Maharashtra Offers Two Year Post Graduate Diploma in Acting
- Panjab University, Chandigarh offers MA in Indian Theatre.
- Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute, Kolkata, ACADEMIC INSTITUTE UNDER MINISTRY OF INFORMATION & Broadcasting . Offers 3-year (full time), Postgraduate Programme in Cinema Specialization offered: 1. Producing for Film & Television 2. Direction & Screenplay Writing 3. Cinematography 4. Sound Recording & Design 5. Editing 6. Animation Cinema . Intake of 70 per year.
- Asian Academy of Film & Television, Marwah Studios Complex, FC-14/15 Film City, Sector-16A, NOIDA, Uttar Pradesh
- The Imago School of Acting, Sudhan Bhawan (1st floor) 37, Saidulajab Village, Saket, Mehrauli-Badarpur Road, New Delhi
- Film and Television Institute of Andhra Pradesh, Saraswathi Nilayam, 8/3/169/69 Siddartha Nagar, Adjacent to Vengal Rao Nagar, Hyderabad
- Adarsha Film Institute No.39, Netaji Road, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Actor Prepares, 2nd Floor, Film Industry Welfare Trust House, Next to Ajivasan Hall,Juhu Road, Santcruz (West), Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Daisy Irani’s Film Institute 682, Roop Kala, 16th Road, Khar (W), Behind Khar Gymkhana, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Barry John Acting Studio, Mumbai - FullTime and Part Time courses in acting
- Zee Institute of Media Arts course in acting