Courses & Eligibility
Depending on the job wanted, candidates can enter the hotel industry through different routes.
- Diploma/Degree course in Hotel Management - candidates may choose to study for a degree or diploma after their XII, irrelevant of subject stream. Different institutions offer these courses - government or privately managed institutions or institutions run by hotel chains or by schools working in association with foreign hotel institutions. The candidates need to pass a written examination, an interview and group discussion before being selected for the programme. General mental ability, reasoning power, English proficiency, personality, communication skills, problem-solving capabilities are all tested.
- Entry for Graduates - Graduates from either the hotel management field or any related field (Home Science, Tourism, Arts/Science, Engineering) can enter training programmes for management positions in the hotel industry. Selections for these students are quite competitive and require good communication skills, high aptitude and leadership qualities. The same applies to post-graduates (M.Sc. in Home Science, MBA, Chartered/Cost Accountants, M.Tech. etc.) who wish to join the Hotel Industry.
- Post Graduate Diploma Course in Hotel Management - Graduates of hotel management can also opt for specialising in specific fields. This training is of 6 months -1 year duration and is offered in topics like food production management/Nutrition & Dietetics/Teaching Hotel Management/Specialised Hotel Management etc.
- Vocational Training - given for positions of room attendants, cooks, receptionists, bellboys, people working in the bakery etc. Many students are interested in taking up short-term courses before entering these areas in the hotel industry. The Food Craft institutes offer 6-month to 1 year courses in Front Office Operation and Hotel Accounting, Cookery Craft, Food Preservation, Reception and Book-Keeping, Bakery and Confectionery, Beauty Culture etc.
- Apprenticeship - all hotels hire apprentices; these are paid trainees who are given first-hand experience of working in a hotel. The number of vacancies depend on the size of the hotel, facilities, budget etc. Candidates who have completed their Class XII are eligible for this training.
The eligibility to enter a course in hotel management is Class 12. Institutes coming under the National Council offer a 3-year degree course (earlier it used to be a diploma course) while private institutes offer a 4-year Bachelor's programme.
There is an entrance test consisting of English, Reasoning, General Science and General Knowledge. The test is of 2-hour duration and is held around April every year. The test is followed by a group discussion and interview, in which a person's personality and confidence is seen. Private institutes have their tests at different times in April/May and the pattern of the paper is roughly the same. Academic sessions usually start by July/August every year.
Fees for Hotel Management course
Panjab University tuition fee is Rs 62,000.
Top colleges for Bachelor in Hotel Management
There are many colleges in India that offer courses and culinary art.
List of Institutes offering B Sc In Hospitality and Hotel Administration with specialization are as follows
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Pusa Road, New Delhi.
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Bangalore.
- Institute of Hotel Management, Mumbai.
- Institute of Hotel Management, Chennai .
- Institute of Hotel Management, Goa.
- Institute of Hotel Management, Hyderabad.
- Institute of Hotel Management,Kolkata .
List of Institutes offering B Sc In Hospitality and Hotel Administration General Course are as follows
- Institute of Hotel Management, Bhopal
- Institute of Hotel Management, Bhubaneshwar
- Institute of Hotel Management, Chandigarh
- Institute of Hotel Management, Gandhi Nagar
- Institute of Hotel Management, Guwahati
- Institute of Hotel Management, Gwalior
- Institute of Hotel Management, Jaipur
- Institute of Hotel Management, Lucknow
- Institute of Hotel Management, Kufri Shimla
- Institute of Hotel Management, Srinagar
Courses offered B Sc, M.Sc. Hospitality Administration , Post Graduate Diploma in Accommodation, Operation and, Management, Post Graduate Diploma in Dietetics and Hospital Food Service, B. Sc. In Hospitality and Hotel Administration, Craftsmanship Course in Food Production, Craftsmanship Course in Food and Beverage Service, Certificate Course in Hotel and Catering Management, Diploma in Food Production, Diploma in Food and Beverage Service, Diploma in Front Office. Total no. of seats are more than 3000. The admission is through JEE conducted by NCHMCT.
- Institute of Hotel Management (run by the Taj Group of Hotels), Aurangabad. The institute offers 4 years BA Hons in Culinary Arts and Masters in International Hospitality management. IHM Aurangabad takes its own profiling test and selects students through GD and Interview.
- Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology Bangalore, Courses Offered: 4 years - Bachelor of Hotel and Restaurant Management
- University Institute of Hotel and Tourism Management, Chandigarh Panjab University Offers Bachelor in Hotel Management and catering technology ( 60 seats )(4 years course) Admission through PUTHAT entrance exam conducted by Panjab University.
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
- Jami Milia Islamia, New Delhi Offers BA Hotel Management, Travel and Tourism
- Systematic Training and Education Programme at The Oberoi group (STEP). This is a three year programme where students get trained in 4 operational departments and prepare for degree from IGNOU. The Oberoi group bears the cost of training and also provides stipend, accomodation, uniform and medical insurance. There are two programmes. The Kitchen Operations Programme (Involves training in Western and Indian kitchens and specialist sections such as bakery, pastry and cold kitchen ) The Hotel Operations Programme (It consists of two streams Front Office / Food and Beverage Service focus or Housekeeping focus). The program is conducted at The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra; The Oberoi, Bengaluru; The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla; The Oberoi, Gurgaon; The Oberoi Rajvilas, Jaipur; The Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur; Trident, Agra; Trident, Chennai; Trident, Gurgaon; Trident, Jaipur; Trident, Udaipur. On successful completion of the programme you will be awarded a Bachelor of Tourism Studies (BTS) degree from IGNOU. You will also receive a Certificate of Proficiency from The Oberoi Group for the training you will undergo during the three-year STEP programme.
- If you are a graduate or are completing a university or college degree in any subject including Hotel Management and wish to join The Oberoi Group as an Executive in Hotel Operations, join The Oberoi Centre of Learning and Development. OCLD programmes commence in July each year with the selection process beginning in September of the previous year. OCLD is based in Maidens Hotel, Delhi. OCLD offers a two year post graduate management programme in Guest Service Management, Housekeeping Management and Kitchen Management.
- JAYPEE Hotels Training Centre , Agra offers 3 year graduate hospitality proficiency programme . The selections are through entrance test, GD and Interview. There is <strong> no course fee </strong> and the training centre facilitates students to pursue bachelor in tourism studies from IGNOU.
- Study Abroad
- Master of Management in Hospitality, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Master of Management in Hospitality, Corenll University The Hotel School Cornell SC Johnson School of Business.
- Master of Science in Global Hospitality Business , Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- MBA in Hotel and Restaurant management offered by Le Cordon Bleu ( University of South Australia)
- Master of Business ( Hospitality Management ) offered by Victoria University, Australia.
- Master of Tourism, Hotel and Event management, University of Queensland. Australia
- Master of Business-International Tourism and Hospitality Management Griffith University
- International Hospitality and Tourism management, Shaffield Hallam University