Courses & Eligibility
- Bachelor of Engineering (BE)/ Bachelor of Technology (BTech): The eligibility is class 12th with physics, chemistry and maths as the main subjects and Entrance Exam.
- The AMIE (Associate Memberships of the Institution of Engineers) offers courses, which are also equivalent to BE and B.Tech.
- Masters in Engineering (ME) or Masters in Technology M.Tech: Eligibility is BE, B Tech and entrance - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) exam. The marks scored in this exam are valid in most colleges.
- For those who wish to study further, a Ph.D. in engineering can be pursued.
- Admission in engineering colleges in India is highly competitive and one has to write JEE MAIN 2013 Exam for admission in IITs, NITs, IIITs, DTU, Delhi and other centrally funded institutions (CFTIs). The merit list for admission to NITs, IIITs, DTU, Delhi and other CFTIs will be prepared by giving 40% weightage (suitably normalized) to class XII (or equivalent examination) or other qualifying examination marks and 60% to the performance in JEE (Main) examination. Only 1,50,000 of the top rankers in JEE (Main), which includes students from all categories (GE, OBC (NCL), SC and ST) will be eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced)-2013 for admission to IITs, IIT BHU and ISM Dhanbad.
The 4 years course in Engineering from an IIT will cost about Rs.2 lakhs. There are a number of scholarships, fee waivers and loans available for those who are unable to fund the education. Apart from this, in most colleges the students can earn a small amount while working on a research project with the professors in their college and this can also help funding the course. The fee in other private colleges is different, ranging from about Rs.40,000 per year to about Rs.70,000 per year.
Top colleges to study production engineering
In India there are many Universities and colleges that offer B Tech / B E and M Tech. Some of the top colleges offering the course are:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Institute of Technology, Benaras Hindu University, Benaras.
- Institute of Technology, Ropar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhi Nagar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bhubaneshwar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Technology, Patna
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mandi
- Institute of Technology,Indore
- Institute of Technology, Rajsthan, Mentored by IIT Kanpur Temporarily at IIT Kanpur
Then there are 30 NIT's located in various parts of the country that offer B Tech . M Tech and MCA programs.
1. NIT Warangal
2. NIT Tiruchirappalli
3. MANIT Bhopal
4. MNIT Jaipur
5. MNNIT Allahabad
6. NIT Jamshedpur
7. SVNIT Surat
8. VNIT Nagpur
9. NIT Kurukshetra
10. NIT Calicut
11. Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar
12. NIT Rourkela
13. NIT Surathkal
14. NIT Patna
15. NIT Raipur
16. NIT Srinagar
17. NIT Hamirpur
18. NIT Delhi
19. NIT Arunachal Pradesh
20. NIT Agartala
21. NIT Durgapur
22. NIT Goa
23. NIT Puducherry
24. NIT Manipur
25. NIT Meghalaya
26. NIT Mizoram
27. NIT Nagaland
28. NIT Sikkim
29. NIT Silchar
30. NIT Uttarakhand
Some other reputed engineering colleges are
- University Institute of Engineering and Technology, South campus, Panjab University Chandigarh
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi (Formerly Delhi College of Engineering)
- Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical University for women, New Delhi .