Professional in Home Science
Pay and Remuneration
The candidates with Home Science background can get a starting salary of Rs 1 – 1.2 lakh a year as a trainee and after having experience in a particular area say Nutrition & Dietetics can get a salary which can be more than Rs 3-4 lakhs a year. Those who have interests in research, teaching, catering jobs etc. can get handsome salary. The salary of a Food Technologist in a food services department or industry etc is relatively more. Consultant dieticians can also earn enough money depending on their practice.
Home science graduates usually find employment in Teaching, Research, Institutional Management, Extension and Social Welfare, Business and Industrial Concerns, Communication and Self Employment.
Graduates of Home Science can work
1. In textiles area and as Merchadiser or Designer
2. As Nutritionist and Dietition in Hospitals and Food Sector
3. In hotel Industry in F&B or in House Keeping at tourist resorts, hotels, catering facilities, restaurants .
4. Institutional catering is a major area, which involves taking care of nutrition and diet at schools, colleges, factories, clubs, military canteens and so on. One can work with food product manufacturers or in food product development.
5. Resource management is an evolving field, which spans family finance and consumer studies, housing and space design, ergonomics in design development, interior design and decoration, entrepreneurship and institutional management.
6. In social Work and Human Development
7. As family counsellors
8. In teaching profession
9. As entrepreneurs in the field of textiles, food, baking and confectionary
10. As researcher