Courses in Biotechnology and Entrance Exams
To become a Biotechnologist one can opt for B Sc / B Tech Biotechnology course. Here are the eligibility details
B Sc Biotechnology :
Class 12th with physics, chemistry and biology
B Tech Biotechnology:
Class 12th with Physics, chemistry with Mathematics / Biology
Panjab University Chandigarh B Sc Biotechnology Entrance: Punjab University conducts own entrance tests (CET) for admission to B Sc course in Biotechnology. This Test (CET) is open for students with Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Mathematics combination.
5 year integrated M Tech Biotechnology IIT Kharagpur: Admission to the five year integrated M. Tech. programme in Biotechnology offered by the IIT (Kharagpur) is through a Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), for students who have successfully completed the 10+2 or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology.
JNU Combined Biotechnology Entrance: The Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) New Delhi holds a Combined Entrance Examination for admission to a 2 years M.Sc. Programme in Biotechnology for about 19 participating universities. The Entrance Examination is held in the month May at different centres across India.
If you want to do an MSc/MTech in Biotechnology, you could have a basic degree (55% marks) in Physics, Biology, Agriculture, Fisheries, Veterinary Science, Pharmacy, Engineering, Dentistry or Medicine! Admission to the two-year MSc programme in Biotechnology in some 19 universities across India is through a Combined Entrance Exam conducted by the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Delhi. Through this examination candidates are also selected for M.Sc. in Agricultural Biotechnology offered at the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore and GB Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar and for the M.Tech programme in Biotechnology at Anna University, Chennai and Jadavpur University, Calcutta.
A typical course in biotechnology can annually cost you anywhere between Rs 20,000 to Rs 2,00,000 or above depending on the college you study.
Governement girls college sector 42 Chadigarh, Fee for sem 1 is Rs 12,755.
Usually, government and regional colleges that select students through tough entrance exams charge less as compared to programs offered by private owned colleges.
State Bank of India, Allahabad Bank, State Bank of Mysore and Bank of Baroda are some popular banks that offer attractive loans to students. These loans include library fees, book purchases, travel expenses and often allow students to purchase computers, accessories and scientific instruments required to complete their work.Many institutes and university offers scholarships to deserving candidates.
Top colleges for B Sc Biotechnology / M Sc Biotechnology
- Punjab University, Chandigarh Offers B Sc, MSc and PhD Biotechnology.
- Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi, Offers B Sc, M Sc and PhD Biotechnology.
- Institute of bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology Bangalore offers M Sc with dual specialization in Bioinformatics and Biotechnology. The admission is on the basis of an online entrance test followed by interview.
- GGDSD College Chandigarh Offers B Sc Hons Biotechnology. Students from both PCB / PCM streams are eligible. Admission on merit basis. There are 25 seats in the program. Also offers B Sc with Biotechnlogy for PCB students. There are 30 seats in the course. Admission on class 12th merit.
- DAV College Chandigarh offers B Sc Hons Biotechnology, B Sc with Biotechnology.
- Government Girls college sector 42 Chandigarh ( 32nd Rank NIRF) Offers B Sc Biotechnology Hons ( 30 seats) and B Sc Biotechnology Elective ( 30 seats)
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Information technology and Biotechnology, Bharatividyapeeth University Pune ( Deemed University ) Offers BSc and MSc Biotechnology.
- Christ University, Bangalore Offers B Sc Biotechnology.
- St Xaviers College Ahmadabad, Gujarat University offers B Vocational Biotechnology.
- St Joseph's College Banagalore offers B Sc Biotechnology in combination with chemistry / Botany / Zoology.
- Mt Carmel college for Girls Banagalore offers B Sc Biotechnology in combination with chemistry / Botany / Zoology.
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, Centre for Biotechnology, Delhi Offers M Sc and PhD in Biotechnology.
- Central University of Rajasthan Bandarsindri Dist Ajmer Offers 5 years integrtaed M Sc Biotechnology / 2 years M Sc Biotechnology
- GGS Indraprastha University, University School of Biotechnology, Delhi offers B Tech M Tech biotechnology for PCB students.
- St Xaviers College, Kolkata Offers Integrated MSc In biotechnology.
- Central University of Rajasthan offere Integrated M Sc in Biotechnology.
- School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad Offers M Sc and PhD Biotechnology.
- IIT, (Department Of Biochemical Engineering & Biotechnology), Delhi, B Tech and M Tech.
- Anna University, Centre For Biotechnology, Chennai
- West Bengal University of Technology, BSc and MSc biotechnology.
- Madurai Kamaraj University, School of Biotechnology, Madurai
- Amity Institute of Biotechnology, MBA Biotechnology, Noida
- Entomology Research Institute, Loyola College, Chennai
- Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Biotechnology, Noida Offers B Tech and M Tech Biotechnology.
- The Oxford College of Science, Department Of Biotechnology, Bangalore
- Fergusson College Pune ( NAAC A Grade ) offers B Vocational Biotechnology ( 30 seats) , B Sc Biotechnology Self Finance (24 seats) and M Sc Biotechnology.
- Banasthali Vidyapith, Department Of Bioscience & Biotechnology, Banasthali
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Department of Plant Molecular Biology & Biotechnology, Coimbatore
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education & Research, Department of Biotechnology & Department Of Pharmaceutical technology, Mohali
- M.S University of Baroda, Department of Microbiology & Biotechnology Centre, Vadodara
- Bangalore University, Department Of Microbiology, Bangalore
- Calcutta University, Dr. B C Guha Centre For Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology, Kolkata
- Shree Manibhai & Navalben Virani Science College, Department Of Biotechnology, Rajkot
- T. John College, Department Of Biotechnology, Bangalore
B Sc Biotchnology colleges in Mumbai
- Jai Hind College ( Self financed ) offers B Sc Biotechnology (Mathematics is compulsory for the course. )
- St Xaviers, Kalbadevi, Mumbai Courses offered : B.Sc. Science (in combination) M.Sc. in Botany, Life Science, Microbiology and Biotechnology.Ph.D. (Science) in Life Science, Microbiology, Biotechnology and Botany.
- Mithibai College, Vile Parle Mumbai Courses offered : B.Sc. Biotechnology and Biochemistry (in combination) M.Sc. Microbiology and zoology. PhD Microbiology, Zoology
- Bhavan's College (Est: 1946)Munshi Nagar,Andheri (West),Mumbai Courses offered :B.Sc. Biotechnology (in combination)
- Ramnivas Ruia College (Est: 1946)MATUNGA MUMBAI Courses offered : B.Sc. in Biotech, Biochemistry, Botany, Life Science, Microbiology and Zoology. (in combination), M.Sc. in Biochemistry, Botany, Life Science, Microbiology and Zoology. PhD in Botany, Microbiology and Zoology.
- KJ Somaiya College of Science and Commerce (Est: 1995)Vidyanagar, Vidyavihar,Mumbai Courses offered : B.Sc. in Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Biotechnology and Biochemistry. (in combination) M.Sc. in Microbiology, Botany, Zoology and Biochemistry.PhD in Botany, Microbiology and Zoology.
- D.G. Ruparel College of Arts, Science and Commerce (Est: 1952) Matunga Mumbai Courses offered : B.Sc. in Botany, Zoology (in combination) M.Sc. in Botany (Mycology), Zoology (Marine Zoology) Ph.D. in Botany and Zoology.
- Sophia College for Women (Est : 1940) BHULABHAI DESAI ROAD,MUMBAI Courses Offered :B.Sc. in Microbiology, Zoology, Life Sciences and Biochemistry (in combination) M.Sc. in Neuroscience Microbiology and Biochemistry.
International colleges & institutes
- University of California - San Francisco
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of California - San Diego
- Johns Hopkins University
- Washington University - St. Louis
- University of Washington
- University of California - Los Angeles
- Yale University
- Stanford University
- Rockefeller University
- University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Oregon State University - Corvallis
- Northwestern University - Evanston, IL
- MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Techno