Biochemistry Research Scientist
Courses & Eligibility
You have to study the science stream at 10+2 this level, with biology as one of your subjects. Delhi University requires mathematics as one of the subject along with biology for Under-graduate degree.
Start with science in plus two/equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths for future career in Biochemistry. Although some universities do offer biochemistry during graduation, post graduation really establishes you as a biochemist. MSc Biochemistry is offered in more than forty universities. You can opt for a Junior Research Fellowship after MSc by appearing for the UGCCSIR JRF/NET exam. This could lead to a lectureship and a career in research and development, consulting or allied work. Some medical colleges may offer MD Biochemistry open to MBBS graduates. Central Drug Research Institute, Industrial Toxicological Research Institute, National Botanical Research Institute, etc would offer scope for advanced studies and research. A few colleges offer other specialized degrees, including Agricultural Biochemistry, Nutritional Biochemistry, Clinical Biochemistry and Environmental Biochemistry.
In fact, in India, some post-graduate courses that are still called zoology or botany are in fact very cutting-edge and involve deep study of molecular biology and biochemistry. It is advisable to look closely at the syllabus of each post-graduate degree in the life sciences before you reject it.
For graduation course although many colleges offer seats on mark basis the premier institutes take entrance examination and select the candidates on the basis of the merit in entrance and marks obtained in the previous examination.
For Post-graduation most of the colleges and institutes takes the students on the basis of entrance.
Top Colleges to study B Sc Integrated M Sc in Biochemistry
- Delhi University. Courses: B.Sc Biochemistry (Hons)/3Yrs Srivenkateswara College, Deshbandhu College, Shivaji College, Institute of Home Economics offer the course.
- Garden City College, Banaglore, NAAC A Grade college affiliated to Banaglore University offers B Sc Biotechnology, BioChemistry and Genetics
- Punjab University, Chandigarh offers B.Sc Bio chemistry 3 Yrs. through CET conducted by PU.
- GGDSD College, Chandidarh offers B Sc Biochemistry course
- Orissa University Of Agriculture And Technology. Courses: B.Sc (Hons.)/, B.Sc (p) / 3 Yrs.
- Aligarh Muslim University. Courses: B.Sc/3Yrs. Eligibility: 10+2 with 55% in relevant sub.
- Central University of Rajasthan offers Integrated M Sc Biochemistry through CUCET.
- All India Institute Of Medical Sciences. Courses : B.Sc(Hons.Human Biology) / 3 Yrs. Eligibility: 10+2 PCM / 60% / entrance test also offers M Sc Bio chemistry
- Delhi University. Courses: M.Sc, M.Sc.(Med. BioChem). Eligibility: B.Sc.with 60% M.Sc.(Chem) or MBBS
- Indian Institute Of Technology. Courses: M.Tech. (5Yrs integrated). Eligibility: 10+2 PCM / entrance test.
- Kurukshetra University. Courses: B.Sc (H.Sc. and Bio chem.) 3 Yrs. Eligibility: 10+2
- Punjab Agriculture University. Courses: B.Sc 3 Yrs. Eligibility: 10+2
- Sardar Patel University. Courses: B.Sc 3 Yrs. Eligibility: 10+2
- University Of Mumbai. Courses: B.Sc 3 Yrs. Eligibility: 10+2
- Aligarh Muslim University. Courses: M.Sc 2 Yrs. Eligibility: B.Sc. with 55%
- Banaras Hindu University. Courses: M.Sc. 2 Yrs, M.Tech. (Bio.Chem). Eligibility : B.Sc. with 55%/ B.Tech.
- M S University Of Baroda, Varodara. Courses: MS, M.Sc.(Med. BioChem). Eligibility : B.Sc.
- Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- University of California - Berkeley, CA
- University of California - San Francisco, CA
- Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA
- University of Wisconsin - Madison, Madison, WI
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
- Yale University, New Haven, CT
- University of California - San Diego, La Jolla, CA
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- University of California - Los Angeles, CA
- University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- University of Illinois - Urbana, IL
- University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor