Types of Commission in Army
Courses for Permanent officers: Aspiring Permanent commissioned officers can join National Defence Academy (NDA) at Khadakvasla near Pune or Indian Military Academy (IMA) Dehradun or Officers Training Academy, Gaya
NDA: An entrance exam is conducted by union public service commission (UPSC) twice a year in April and September for admissions to NDA. The selected candidates for the three services, viz, Army, Navy and Airforce are given preliminary training in both academic and physical for a period of 3 Years at the National Defence Academy which is an Inter-Service Institution. The training during the first two and half years is common to the cadets of three wings. The cadets on passing out will be awarded B.Sc./B.Sc.(Computer)/BA. Degree from Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi. On passing out from the National Defence Academy, Army Cadets go to the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, Navel Cadets to Indian Naval Academy Ezhimala and Air force cadets to Air Force Academy, Hyderabad. Gentlemen Cadets during the entire duration of training in Service Academies i.e. during training period at IMA shall be entitled to stipend of Rs 21,000/- p.m. Admission forms for NDA are available in post offices or online in September and March after an announcement is made by UPSC in Employment News and other newspapers.
Candidates should have passed Class 12 in any stream. Only unmarried males between the age of 16 yrs and 19 years can apply. On passing the exam, the candidate is called for a 5 day interview by the service selection board (SSB) followed by a medical examination. Selection for NDA is done only after passing these 3 barriers.
IMA There are 4 main ways to apply
- COMBINED DEFENCE SERVICES EXAM CDSE: Direct Entry for unmarried male graduates aged between 19 and 24: Selection is by appearing for a Combined Defence Services Examination conducted by UPSC twice a year in February and August. Selected Candidates have to undergo a one and half year course.
- Technical Graduate Entry for Engineering graduates: Selection is by a SSB interview. One year course.
- University Entry scheme for unmarried students in their final year of B.E. or B.Tech. Selection is by Campus SSB interview.
- AEC ( MEN) Candidates who have passed Post Graduate Degree MA/M.Sc in subjects as per Notification /M.Com/MCA/MBA with 1st or 2nd Division are only eligible. Final Year appearing/Result awaiting students are not eligible.
Officers Training Academy Gaya
- 10 + 2 Tech Entry for students passing class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Maths with an aggregate of 70% in these subjects. The candidates are called for SSB based on cut of in 12th marks or JEE Mains score. Total training 5 years including one year at Officers Training Centre, Gaya. Duration of training for TES Entry is 5 years and details are as under: Basic Military Training: 1 year (Officer Training Academy Gaya). Technical Training: Technical Training will be conducted in two phases: Phase-I: Pre Commission Training for 3 Years at any of the three CTWs (Cadet Training Wings i.e. CME Pune, MCTE Mhow and MCEME Secunderabad). Phase-II: Post Commission Training for 1 year at CME Pune, MCTE Mhow and MCEME Secunderabad. The candidates will be awarded Engineering degree after successful completion of training. The candidates will be given a stipend of Rs. 21,000/- p.m. (Rs 15,600/- as pay in Pay Band plus Grade Pay of Rs. 5,400/-) as is admissible to NDA cadets on completion of 3 years training. On completion of 4 Years training they will be commissioned in the rank of Lieutenant and entitled to pay as admissible to the rank.
Admission procedures for Short Service Commissioned Officers: Successful applicants, both male and female, can join the ARMY through Short service commission.
There are three main ways to apply -
- Graduate Non-Tech applicants both men and women aged between 19 and 27.
- Officers Recruitment through this entry is advertised through the Employment News and all important National and Regional Newspapers / dailies in the months of Jul and Nov. Mode of Application is Online only through official website of UPSC. Selection for short service commission is through a written exam conducted by the UPSC twice every year in the month Sept. and Feb, followed by an interview by the Service Selection Board (SSB). Courses are conducted at OTA, Chennai twice every year in the Months of April and October.
- Graduate Technical applicants both men and women .
- Officers Recruitment through this entry is advertised through the Employment News and All important National and Regional Newspapers / dailies in the months of January and July. Mode of Application is Online only through official website of Recruitment Directorate,www.joinindianarmy.nic.in. Selection for short service commission is through the Services Selection Board (SSB) and there is no written exam for this entry as on date. The candidates are shortlisted for SSB interview based on the basis of cut off percentage applied on marks obtained by the candidates’ up to 6th Semester. Courses are conducted at OTA, Chennai twice every year in the Months of April and October.
- Graduate NCC cadets both men and women aged between 19 and 25 with 50% in University exams and a minimum of B grade in NCC ‘C’ certificate exam.
- Short Service Commission ( JAG) Men and Women
- To apply for JAG Entry, you have to be a Law Graduate with minimum 55% aggregate marks in LLB Degree (Three years professional after graduation or five years after 10+2 examination). The candidates should be eligible for registration with Bar Council of India/State. Candidate should be from a College/University recognized by Bar Council of India. Officers Recruitment through this entry is advertised through the Employment News and All important National and Regional Newspapers / dailies in the months of June and December. Mode of Application is Online only through official website of Recruitment Directorate, www.joinindianarmy.nic.in.