Courses & Eligibility
Bachelor in Archaeology: Science background preferred for B Sc Archaeology.
Master's in Archaeology: Eligibility is bachelor's degree in Archaeology, History, Anthropology, Sociology, Geology, Physics, Chemistry, Botany or zoology.
Post Graduate Diploma in Archaeology (PGDA), a course in two years is offered by the Archaeological Survey of India, Institute of Archaeology, 24-Tilak Marg, New Delhi. Those who have completed an M.A. in Ancient/Medieval Indian History or an M.A./M.Sc in Archaeology with 55% marks are eligible for the course. (50% for SC/ST/OBC). Applications are invited in June and the academic session starts in October.
Then there are two special programmes in Archaeology are offered by the Delhi Institute of Heritage Research and Management, 18-A, Satsang Vihar, Qutab Institutional Area, New Delhi. The courses are called:
- Master in Conservation, Preservation and Heritage Management, and
- Master in Archaeology and Heritage Management
These courses duration is two years. The courses begin in July. Those who have a Bachelor's degree in Archaeology, History, Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Museology, Geology, Anthropology/B.E, B.Arch, B.Town Planning are eligible for this course. The candidates are admitted after passing a competitive written test.
Where To Study
Archaeology is offered at the Bachelor's level by some colleges and universities. Some of them are as follows.
- Visva Bharati ( Central University ) Kolkatta Offers
BA Ancient History and Archaeology
Under Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam: U.C. College, Aluva; Assumption College, Chandganacherry; St. Thomas College, Pala.
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- M.S. University Baroda
- Barakatulla Vishwa Vidhyalaya, Bhopal
- Marathwada University, Aurangabad
A lot of institutes offer archaeology at the master's level. Some of them are as follows:
- Archaeological Survey of India, Institute of Archaeology, New Delhi
- Delhi Institute of Heritage Research and Management, Delhi ( Affiliated to GGS IP University and it offers Masters of Archaeology and Heritage Management and Master of conservation , preservation and Heritatge Managemenet.
- Allahabad University, Allahabad
- Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam
- AP Singh University, Rewa
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- BHU, Varanasi
- Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur
- Deccan College of Post Graduate and Research Institute, Yervada, Pune
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur
- Dr.Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar
- Dr.B.S.Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad
- Gujarat University, Ahmedabad
- HN Bahuguna Garhwal University, Srinagar
- Kurushetra University, Kurukshetra
- Mangalore University, Mangalagangothri
- MS University of Baroda, Vadodara
- Nagpur University, Nagpur
- North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Patna University, Patna
- Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Purvanchal University, Jaunpur
- Rani Durgavati Vishva Vidyalaya, Jabalpur
- University of Calcutta, Calcutta
- University of Madras, Chennai
- University of Mysore, Nagarjuna Nagar
- University of Pune, Pune
- Visva Bharati, Santiniketan