February 12, 2015,
India just like other countries is witnessing huge demand for energy. At the same time there is pressure to reduce emissions from fossil fuels and to move towards cleaner technologies and renewable sources of energy. Government of India is focusing on this sector and in private sector also there are some good players who are doing their bit in this direction. For India to make significant progress in this area it is important that people consider this as a career option and competent people enter the renewable energy industry.
How can I contribute in this sector?
There are many ways in which you can contribute in this sector. First you can take up research in your related field. For example people from biotechnology side can work in bio fuels and bio polymers. Or if you are an engineer you can work towards making better equipments and machines for this sector. If you do not want to get into research but want to contribute and at the same time want to make a career out of it you can either get into energy management or you can be focused on a particular sector ( like Solar/ Wind etc ).
There are quite a few universities and institutes that offer related courses and research programs for interested students. Here is an indicative list of some of them Courses in Renewable Energy
1. IIT Delhi, Centre for Energy Studies offers M Tech in Energy Studies
2. IIT Bombay, offers M Tech Energy science and Engineering
3. Pandit Deen Dayal Petroleum University, Gandhi Nagar, School of solar energy, offers M. Tech. Programme in Energy Systems & Technology (Focused on Solar Energy)
4. Structural Engineering Research Centre, Chennai a constituent of Council of scientific and industrial research Offers integrated M Tech-PhD in renewable energy.
5. TERI University offers M Tech in Renewable energy engineering and management).
6. UPES, Dehradun offes M Tech Renewable Energy engineering 2 years.
7. VIT University Vellore offers M Tech in Energy and Environmental Engineering.
8. University of Lucknow, Lucknow offers M Sc (Renewable Energy).
9. Department of Pure and Applied Physics, University of Kota, Kota offers M Sc Physics, Energy Studies.
10. Department of Physics, University of Pune, Pune offers M Tech (Energy Studies
11. National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli offers M Tech (Energy Engineering)
12. National Institute of Technology, Calicut, offers M Tech (Energy Management).
13. Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishwavidyalaya, Bhopal offers M Tech (Energy Technology and Environment Management
14. Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal offers M Tech (Energy Engineering),
15. Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore offers M E (Energy Engineering).
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has set up four specialized centres on solar energy, wind energy, bio-energy and hydro-energy to focus and to promote better and cleaner technologies. The institutes are The Solar Energy Centre (SEC), Centre for Wind Energy Technology (C-WET) Chennai, The Sardar Swaran Singh National Institute of Renewable Energy (SSS-NIRE), Kapurthala Punjab, and Alternate Hydro Energy Centre (AHEC) at IIT Roorkee.
Career Prospects in the field of Renewable Energy
To put it very simply the career prospects are very bright. The industry is in nascent stage and will grow many folds in coming decades. Investments are growing in this sector and there will be good career opportunities in manufacturing and also in business , trading and in services.
Scholarships: International Renewable Energy agency ( IRENA) an intergovernmental organisation based in Abu Dhabi, focussed on renewable energy provides 20 scholarships to study eight M Sc programs ( Chemical engineering, computing and Information sciences, electerical and power engineering, water and environmental engineering, sustainable critical infrastructure) offered at masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Abu Dhabi. The scholarship award covers 100% tuition, text books, laptop, housing, monthly stupend, health insurance and annual return ticket home. Also internship possibilities with IRENA. The students need to apply with minimum GRE score of 700 ( 155 on new scale) and TOEFL score of 91 or IELETS score of 6.5. The deadline is usually in the month of september.